How can International Students work in the UK after their studies?
How can International Students in the UK after their studies?
Aimed at: Edinburgh Napier’s students
Tier 4 (General) Students switching to Tier 2 (General) visa
Tier 2 is the main immigration route for non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals who wish to work in the UK if you wish to remain and work in the UK after you have finished your studies. There are concessions for Tier 4 Students, which make it easier to get a Tier 2 Visa. Your employer will not need to apply the Resident Labour Market Test if:
- You have a valid Tier 4 visa and;
- You have successfully completed a degree in the UK; or
- You have successfully completed at least one year of a PhD programme
Tier 4 (General) Students
Once you have completed your course there is usually some time left on your visa. During this time, you can work full time. However, you must not:
- fill a full-time permanent vacancy
- be self-employed
- be employed as a doctor or dentist in training (unless on a recognised Foundation Programme)
- be employed as a professional sportsperson or entertainer
Tier 2 (General) Visa
Your employer must sponsor your visa. To do so, they must be listed as holding a Tier 2 licence on the Home Office Register of Sponsors and they must provide you with a Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) number issued by the Home Office.