How can International Students start working in the UK?

How can International Students start working in the UK?

Aimed at:  Edinburgh Napier’s students

​If you have completed a degree-level course at Edinburgh Napier University and you apply under Tier 2 before your current Tier 4 immigration permission expires, the Immigration Rules allow you to start your Tier 2 job after you have applied for your Tier 2 leave, even if the Home Office has not yet decided your application. This allows you to start a full-time permanent job, which is not usually allowed before your Tier 2 leave is granted – this provision came into effect on 6th April 2012 as a result of a change to the Tier 4 work conditions. Note that you must have completed a degree-level course. If you are applying to Tier 2 after 12 months of study towards a PhD, but before you have been awarded it, you cannot rely on this provision unless you have previously completed a degree-level course in the UK.

You should discuss this with your Tier 2 sponsor before starting a full-time permanent job. Even if you could start your Tier 2 job before your immigration permission is granted, your employer might not want you to do this as it could lead to problems if your Tier 2 application is not successful.

If you are not able to start your Tier 2 job until the Home Office grants your Tier 2 immigration permission, and you applied before your previous leave expired, you remain subject to the conditions of your previous leave while you wait for your decision.

There are no attachments for this article.