I’m a staff member, how do I archive my Edinburgh Napier emails?
How do I archive my Edinburgh Napier emails
Aimed at: Edinburgh Napier’s staff
Archived emails are only accessible on the PC they are stored to, but are otherwise identical to email stored on the mail server.
First we’ll need to make sure that Outlook can see all of your email. By default Outlook is set to only show emails you’ve received in the past year.
To download all of your email:
1. Click on File
2. Then click on Account Settings -> Account Settings from the drop down menu.
3. From the Account Setting screen, click on Change...
4. Drag the slider all the way to the right hand side.
5. Click Next and then Finish
There will be a progress bar at the bottom of outlook – wait for the All Folders Are Up To Date message.
Your email inbox will now show all the emails that were held on the server and we can know archive them.
Before Archiving it is now a good time to look through your emails and delete any you no longer require
6. Click on File
7. Clean up Tools -> Archive...
You will now see the achieve selection screen
8. Select the folder you wish to archive, or select your email address to select the entire mailbox.
9. Set the archive items older than date to something of your choosing. In the screen above we are going to Archive all email items that arrive or were sent before July 23rd.
10. Click the Browse button to find a suitable storage location. We’d recommend using your network storage area (H Drive) as it is regularly backed up by Information Services.
11. Next click on the OK button.
The archive process will begin. Outlook will display a status bar similar to this:
Once the archiving text disappears the archiving process is complete.
As long as you have access to the H drive you’ll be able to access archived emails on the left hand bar of Outlook – it works just like any other mailbox folder.