How do I claim council tax exemption as a student?

How do I claim Council Tax exemption as a student?

Aimed at:  Edinburgh Napier’s students

If you live in the City of Edinburgh Council area, the University will send your details approximately 4 weeks after the start of the trimester to inform them that you are a student if you are:

  • A full-time matriculated student and
  • Have an Edinburgh term-time address on your eStudent Record (see how to change your address here)

You also need to confirm your term-time address with the council by completing the online form found on their website here.

If you live outside Edinburgh

Please check with your Local Council for further advice. Exemption forms can be stamped and signed at any of the iPoint

Your End date

Council Tax exemption will cease on the course expiry date and not graduation.

The course end date is the last day that an assessment can be scheduled in the final year and trimester of your course of study.

If you are unsure as to when this should be, please contact the iPoint.


What is an iPoint?

Opening Hours

Monday to Friday 8.45am - 5pm

Contact Details


Telephone: 0131 455 2929

There are no attachments for this article.
Related Articles RSS Feed
What is a Programme Handbook?
Viewed 12191 times since Fri, Aug 25, 2017
How do I get an article added to askNapier?
Viewed 17818 times since Wed, Nov 1, 2017
Where can I find information on parking?
Viewed 8078 times since Thu, Dec 20, 2018
How can I make an appointment to see a counsellor?
Viewed 15834 times since Tue, Aug 29, 2017
What is a Programme Leader?
Viewed 13799 times since Fri, Sep 1, 2017
Do I have to pay for my resit?
Viewed 18428 times since Wed, Sep 14, 2016
What is a Transcript and how do I get one?
Viewed 15423 times since Thu, Aug 24, 2017
What is a Programme Administrator?
Viewed 12583 times since Fri, Aug 25, 2017